Stine School – Terre Haute Stine School — District #73 Stine School About 1910 – South of Stronghurst
Stine School reopened with four students in 1945.
Rosetta Brennan was its last teacher. According to the reports turned in
annually to the county superintendent, as of Sept. 6, 1948 she noted that the
building still had no electricity; however, before her next report was written on
Sept. 7, 1949 the school finally had power and “the new window shades make
school attractive and help regulate light.” (Mrs. Brennan)
At the beginning of the 1950 – 1951 school year the directors were
Charles Peasley, Robert Lauver, and Elmer Reed. There were twelve students
enrolled at the beginning the year. Three children were from the Peasley family,
three were Lauvers, and one was a Reed.
The blackboard that had been “very poor” in yearly reports for a number of
years prior evidently was never replaced, but in what became the school’s last
annual report Mrs. Brennan noted that there were “twelve house plants to interest
pupils,” the boys’ and girls’ outhouses were in good condition, and the little
school had “a new two gallon thermos jug and paper cups to use.”
At the end of the 1950 – 1951 school year, Stine School closed again, this
time permanently, and students were sent to Stronghurst or Terre Haute to
continue their education. Mrs. Brennan was killed in an auto accident on Nov.
13, 1957 on her way home from teaching in Lomax. Ironically the accident
occurred at the curve on Illinois Route 94 (commonly referred to as Stine
Corner), just a few miles north of Stine School.
Contributed by Fran Work with
information from C. Richard (Dick) Peasley,
Stine School student 1945-51